The availability of public transportation for people with visual impairments in Saint Louis includes several features and services to ensure accessibility. Here are some of the key aspects:
- MetroBus and MetroLink: The public transportation system in St. Louis consists of MetroBus, which operates a network of bus routes, and the MetroLink light rail system. Both services offer various accessibility features, including ramps, priority seating for individuals with disabilities, and audible announcements for each stop.
- Metro Call-A-Ride: The Metro Transit also operates a paratransit service called Call-A-Ride, specifically catering to individuals with disabilities, including those with visual impairments. This service provides door-to-door transportation for registered users who are unable to independently use fixed-route transit.
- Braille and Large Print Materials: Metro Transit provides several resources in braille and large print format. These include system maps, schedules, and informational brochures, making information easily accessible to individuals with visual impairments.
- Travel Training: The agency conducts travel training programs to help people with disabilities, including visual impairments, learn how to navigate the public transportation system independently and safely. These programs provide personalized assistance and guidance according to individual needs.
- Accessible Stations and Stops: MetroLink stations and MetroBus stops are designed to be accessible for individuals with disabilities. This includes features like tactile warning strips, raised platform edges, and clear signage.
- Transit Assistance Programs: Various organizations and agencies in St. Louis provide transit assistance programs, offering travel orientation and mobility training to individuals with visual impairments. These programs aim to enhance independent travel skills and increase confidence in using public transportation.
While these features indicate efforts to make public transportation accessible for people with visual impairments in St. Louis, it is always advisable to check for the most up-to-date information and plan ahead for a smooth travel experience.