There have been several notable artists from Saint Louis. Some of them include:
- Josephine Baker - A renowned American-born French entertainer, singer, and actress who gained fame in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Miles Davis - A legendary jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer who was one of the key figures in the development of cool jazz and jazz fusion.
- Chuck Berry - Often referred to as the "Father of Rock and Roll," Berry was a singer, songwriter, and guitarist who had a significant influence on the genre.
- Maya Angelou - Though primarily known as a poet and memoirist, Angelou was also an actress, singer, and civil rights activist. She spent her early childhood in Saint Louis.
- T.S. Eliot - An influential poet, playwright, and literary critic who wrote The Waste Land and Four Quartets, both of which are considered some of the most important works of modernist literature.
- Grace Bumbry - An internationally acclaimed opera singer who began her career in Saint Louis and went on to perform at prestigious opera houses around the world.
- Cedric the Entertainer - A comedian, actor, and television personality, known for his roles in The Original Kings of Comedy and The Steve Harvey Show. Born and raised in Saint Louis.
- Yvonne Osei - A contemporary artist known for her multi-media works that explore race, identity, and cultural heritage.
These are just a few examples of the notable artists from Saint Louis, and there are many more who have made significant contributions to various artistic fields.