During the Civil War, there were several prominent figures in Saint Louis who played important roles. Some of the key figures include:
- Frank P. Blair Jr. - A prominent lawyer, politician, and soldier, Blair was a Union Army general during the Civil War. He played a crucial role in maintaining Union control over St. Louis and Missouri.
- Sterling Price - Price was a Confederate general and former governor of Missouri. He led the Confederacy's failed attempt to regain control of Missouri during the war and played a significant role in Confederate military operations in the region.
- Nathaniel Lyon - As the commander of Union forces in Missouri, Lyon played a central role in maintaining Union control over St. Louis and the state. He was known for his aggressive approach and played a key role in the initial Union victory at the Battle of Wilson's Creek.
- John C. Fremont - Fremont, a prominent explorer and politician, was appointed as the Union's major general in Missouri. Though his tenure was controversial, his actions in declaring martial law and emancipating slaves in the state had a significant impact on the Civil War's trajectory.
- Thomas T. Gantt - Gantt, a supporter of the Confederacy, was a prominent leader a**** the pro-secessionist faction in Missouri. He played a role in organizing Confederate sympathizers and was an influential figure during the Civil War.
These are just a few of the prominent figures in St. Louis during the Civil War. Several other politicians, military leaders, and activists also played important roles in shaping the city's history during this crucial period.