There are several good places for rock climbing near Saint Louis. Some popular options include:
- Cliffs in Creve Coeur Park: Located within the Creve Coeur Park in Maryland Heights, Cliffs offers both top-rope and bouldering routes suitable for climbers of all levels.
- Upper Limits Climbing Gym: This indoor climbing gym in Maryland Heights offers a variety of climbing walls and routes for all skill levels. It is a great option for those looking for indoor climbing during inclement weather or for year-round climbing.
- Pere Marquette State Park: Located in Grafton, Illinois, this state park offers sandstone bluffs that provide excellent rock climbing opportunities. It is about an hour's drive from Saint Louis.
- Lake Lincoln State Park: Situated in Troy, Missouri, Lake Lincoln State Park has limestone cliffs that offer climbing opportunities. It is around an hour's drive from Saint Louis.
- Elephant Rocks State Park: Located in Iron County, Missouri, Elephant Rocks State Park features huge granite boulders that are perfect for bouldering and offer a unique climbing experience. It is about a two and a half hour's drive from Saint Louis.
- Poison Ivy Wall: Situated in the scenic Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, this climbing area offers beautiful rock formations and solid routes. It is around a two-hour drive from Saint Louis.
Before heading out to these locations, ensure you have the necessary gear, climbing experience, and knowledge of climbing safety. It is also advisable to check for any closures or restrictions before planning your trip.